7-Eleven was founded by J. C. Thompson in 1927 as The Southland Ice Company in Dallas, Texas. Started as an ice vendor, the company eventually began offering milk, bread and eggs on Sundays and evenings when grocery stores were closed. This new business idea produced satisfied customers and increased sales, spawning the precursor of the modern convenience retail concept.
The company's first convenience outlets were known as Tote'm stores since customers "toted" away their purchases, and some even sported genuine Alaskan totem poles in front. In 1946, Tote'm became 7-Eleven to reflect the stores' new, extended hours - 7 a.m. until 11 p.m., seven days a week. The company's corporate name was changed from The Southland Corporation to 7-Eleven, Inc. in 1999.
We are the pioneer and the largest 24-hours convenience store operator in Malaysia. Upon achieving its 1,000 mark in stores network, 7-Eleven Malaysia opened its door to local entrepreneurs through its unique franchising program in 2009. We are the first franchisor in the local market to offer existing profit-making stores to franchisees.
7-Eleven stores can be found across bustling commercial districts to serene suburban residential compounds throughout Malaysia, from petrol stations and LRT stations to shopping malls and medical institutions. 7-Eleven is Always There For You.
Each 7-Eleven store carries over 2,200 SKUs, including our proprietary brands such as Slurpee frozen beverages and Big Gulp fountain soft drinks. The variety of services available at 7-Eleven include the bill payment service, sale of mobile phone reload cards, IDD/STD, Touch N Go reload, internet games' starter packs, reloads via MOL Point top-up, ink cartridge refill, photocopying, fax, automated teller machine (ATM), and bulletin board for neighbourhood community notices.
In 2009, 7-Eleven introduced fresh brewed coffee and other hot beverages together with packaged fresh food and bakery for the convenience of customers looking for ready-to-eat hot food. All food items sold in 7-Eleven are certified HALAL and undergo stringent quality control to ensure tastefulness and freshness.
Being the premier neighborhood convenience store, community building is in the heart of 7-Eleven’s corporate social responsibility framework. 7-Eleven Community Care is a non-profit entity set up to implement 7-Eleven Malaysia’s corporate social responsibility and philanthropic initiatives. We believe in giving back to the society we operate in, with a commitment to support the underprivileged groups and to sustain environmental conservation effort at the local community level across all regions.
7 Things you didn’t know about 7-Eleven Malaysia:
- The first 7-Eleven store in Malaysia opened on 9 October 1984 in Jalan Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur and it is still in operation today.
- New “clear cup” for Slurpee was introduced on 21 January 2008 so that customers can create their own concoction of Slurpee frozen beverages.
- The first 8oz. mini cup of Slurpee was launched on 10 November 2008 for a limited time only.
- 7-Eleven stores use degradable plastic bags in response to environmental protection.
- 7-Eleven Malaysia celebrated its 25th Anniversary on 6 April 2009, it also marked a milestone opening of the 1,000th store in Bandar Sunway.
- In Malaysia, 7-Eleven Day is celebrated on 7 November (7/11) instead of July 11 which is the official birthday of the 7-Eleven convenience store.
- 7-Eleven Malaysia opened its 1600th store in Publika Solaris on 18th June 2014 with a fresh new concept look and feel.